Saturday, December 09, 2006

Liquid doughnut in a can

Last week, I mentioned how a visit to Clark's Pie and Mash confirmed that I seem to be adapting well to local ways. Well this week, I must confess that full acculturation is still not imminent.

Most times that I've been to Clark's, there's been someone ordering a cream soda with his meal (and it is invariably a his sort of thing). And more than a couple of times, I've overheard nostalgic conversations about growing up and going to the local pie and mash and having a cream soda.

So, during my last visit to Clark's, I requested a cream soda with my large pie and mash. What I got was a twelve-ounce can of Ben Shaws'. I popped it open and took a sip. To my recollection, I don't think that I had ever tasted such a concentration of sugar - especially in liquid form. Ben Shaws' Cream Soda tastes like a cream-filled doughnut.














Now, before you start with Homer Simpson-style drooling at the thought of a liquid doughnut, allow me to state that it's not as appetizing as it may sound. Something about that taste paired with that texture really threw me off and, at least to my inexperienced taste buds, did not complement my savoury pie and mash at all. Oh well, I gave it a try.
Next time at Clark's, I'll stick with having a cup of tea.

No comments: