Sunday, December 17, 2006

Viet Hoa: authentic Vietnamese food in Hoxton

I recently had dinner at one of my all-time London faves - Viet Hoa on Kingsland Road in Hoxton.

When I lived in London from 2001-2003, I visited Viet Hoa quite often, even though I lived on the other side of this sprawling town. Now, that I live a short bus ride away, it's taken me half a year to get back. Much of the reason it's taken so long is that there's a perfectly adequate Vietnamese place near my flat (I'll save it for another review).

Despite having a great local, I'm nevertheless shocked it took me so long to make my way back. Viet Hoa is an exceptional restaurant and well worth a trip of nearly any length. Of particular note are their yummy spring rolls. Generally, I'm not a big fan of springrolls, but these deep-fried morsels really hit the spot with Viet Hoa's distinct and subtle mix of flavours. Their sizzling pork dish is a winner too!

Viet Hoa is a huge but very humble restaurant. Service is adequate but nothing special. It should also be noted that Viet Hoa gets packed to the rafters practically every night - rather amazing considering the abundance of Vietnamese restaurants within earshot on Kingsland Road. Still, I must recommend Viet Hoa even if there's a wait involved; some time back in '02 or '03, I tried one of the nearby competitors, an act which left me feeling like a traitor and regretting that I had eaten a sub-excellent meal when I was so close to phenomenal Viet Hoa. Also, many of the regulars are night prowling Hoxton hipsters. So if you go on the early side of the evening (note: they close after lunch and open again around 5:30pm), you might have the place to yourself.

Old Street is the nearest tube stop, but it's still a hike. However, there's a bus stop right outside Viet Hoa, providing quick and easy access from Old Street and Liverpool Street stations.












Viet Hoa
74 Kingsland Road
E2 8DP
Phone: 020 7729 8293
Fax: 020 7729 8293

No comments: