Sunday, May 27, 2007

Madonna at Exmouth Market or Don't leave home without your camera!

Note to self: Always always always take your camera with you, dummy!

A lesson that's been impressed upon me many times (especially over the past year) but that I still can't seem to heed, is this: if I leave my camera at home, I'm sure to happen upon a very photogenic moment. Case in point: Friday around midday, I needed to go out to run some errands. Before leaving, I took a good long look at my camera bag, wondering if I should sling it across my shoulder for my brief outing. 'Nah,' I thought, 'I'm not going to be out that long or going anywhere interesting.'

So, I walked up to nearby Exmouth Market where I happened upon a huge crowd gathered around some vans, camera and lighting equipment, people walking around with clipboards, and ... Madonna, who was working on an upcoming film. Just a few minutes from my flat, I made a U-turn, heading back for my camera. Less than 10 minutes later, I returned to a much more mundane scene: no crowd, no vans, no clipboards, no Madonna. Oh well. Click here for some photos by some Flickr folks with a little more luck than I had.

Anyway, I took being out with the camera as an opportunity to take some shots of a couple of Banksy pieces, one of which has been getting an awful lot of publicity (like this, this and this) as being a new piece. However, I can verify that it's been there at least a year when I first noticed it. The other (the rat) seems to have fallen victim to a zealous but ineffective art collector.



Photography by Tiki Chris © 2007

No comments: